Wednesday 3 February 2016

The timeless story of Intizar Husain

Two days ago, I received a message from a friend in Lahore that Intizar sahib was critically ill. His kidneys had failed and he had pneumonia. My heart sank; I prayed for a miracle. The sad news reached me as I was restlessly skimming through the pictures of my recent trip to Lahore, two months ago, in November.

 Intizar Husain. —Photo by Muhammad Danish Khan
 
It was five days packed with literary events; there were lunches, dinners and teas with Intizar sahib. He was impeccably dressed, beaming, twinkling, and narrating stories with inimitable flair.
Take a look: Writers, fans mourn the passing of literary giant Intizar Hussain

Together, we discussed Urdu legends Muhammad Hasan Askari and Ghalib. I took too many pictures; he scolded me affectionately. I couldn’t stop recording those precious moments.

I was in immense awe of the enormous vista his writing spanned. Shining prose flowed from his pen in seemingly effortless strokes. A style that is close to speech but distinguished by its ability to grapple complexities of literariness with deceptive simplicity.

I was introduced to Intizar sahib’s work rather early because of my upbringing in Urdu’s jadidiyat (modernist) milieu.

As a young girl, I was perplexed by modernist Urdu fiction and struggled to empathise with stories that seemed to have no plot. But Intizar sahib’s fiction stood out to me in its starkness.

 For more detail  The timeless story of Intizar Husain

Author:

0 comments: