Wednesday 3 February 2016

Spot-fixer Westfield reveals how Kaneria 'lured' him in

LONDON: Former Essex pace bowler Mervyn Westfield has revealed his torment at spending four months in prison after being found guilty of spot-fixing.

 “Me agreeing to do this, I have lost the best job I ever wanted to do. Not being able to do it now is a massive slap in the face.” -Photo by AFP

Westfield was jailed in 2012 and banned from professional cricket for five years and club cricket for three for accepting #6,000 ($9,606, 7,124 euros) to concede more than 12 runs in an over in a 40-over match against Durham in September 2009.

The 25-year-old served his time in Belmarsh prison in south-east London and he admits the whole experience was a nightmare that has scarred him for life.

“They took me down to the room, handcuffed me and put me in the security van,” he said in a film recorded by the Professional Cricketers' Association.

“I felt so scared. You are in this little box and you can't look outside the windows of the van because they were blacked out.

“Personally I didn't know anything about Belmarsh but my solicitors ran it by me. They said it was double A category jail and the most secure jail in Europe. All the high risk people go there. I was wondering why am I going there?

“My time in Belmarsh was hell for me. They tell you what you can do and what you can't do. What time you eat and what time you go back into the room, what time you can come out for exercise, what time you have a shower. I didn't shower any more.”

For more detail   Spot-fixer Westfield reveals how Kaneria 'lured' him in

Author:

0 comments: